As my due date neared I dreaded the thought of having to hand wash all of my son’s clothes before he arrived. As with most NYC apartments space was an issue so purchasing an entire washer and dryer unit was not an option and I didn’t want to bring my newborn’s clothes to the 24hr dump I brought my crap to, so I did research. Specifically I searched for “portable washing machine,” and found that there were quite a few available on the market. I decided to go with the Panda Small Compact Portable Washing Machine(6-7lbs Capacity) with Spin Dryer.
What It Is: A twin tub washer with spin dryer. It includes an inlet hose and drainage hose with hook. The washer tub holds about 6-7lbs and the spinner holds 3-3.5lbs. The washer itself weighs 28lbs.
What You’ll Love:
- The washer is light and compact so you can store and move it around easily.
- Offers convenient at home washing especially for people who live in apartments and students.
- The washing tub is larger than you would expect and holds a good amount of clothes.
- The unit is really simple to use.
What You May Not Be Crazy About:
- The spin dryer tub is a bit small.
- You have to really play with your soap to water ratios. Too much soap and you will be rinsing the clothes forever, not enough soap and your stains won’t come out.
- The spin dryer can sometimes make a very loud banging noise that causes the entire unit to “walk” (though I have found that this can be fixed by adjusting the spin basket and trying again).
- This is not fully automatic. This means that there is a little work that needs to be done between washing and spinning. After wringing out the clothes to remove excess water, the spin dryer gets clothes fairly dry but they will still need to be placed out on a line or rack to complete drying.
What Your Wallet Says:
Coming in at $169.99 I think the unit is reasonably priced considering it is a two tub unit with the spin dryer included. To purchase both a washer and spin dryer you come in around the same amount.
My overall rating:
I gave the unit 4 out of 5 stars.
It is a great compact size which made it easy for me to find a place in my apartment. The unit moves easily and is light enough for me to pick up if I need to. The washing tub holds a good amount of clothes and though I only use it for the baby’s clothing it can definitely hold your favorite pair of jeans a few shirts and your underwear easily. Though the washer is powerful, playing with the soap ratios could prove to be too annoying for some people. It did take me awhile to figure out a happy medium. The spin dryer is a bit small but I’ve honestly never had any issue fitting everything I just washed into the spin dryer, but again keep in mind I am washing newborn clothing. Also the loud banging that the spin dryer can sometimes make is a nuisance when it happens, but just opening the cover and adjusting the dryer basket usually does the trick. Overall I love the product and use it very frequently. I feel that the small annoyances shouldn’t overshadow the fact that it’s a powerful unit that is the perfect size and gets the job done. It sure as hell beats hand washing!
Where Can You Get It: Click Here